Monday, December 10, 2018

5E Hack: Class Templates Part 1

At this point, it is fairly obvious I play D&D 5e and maybe less obvious that I think character creation is a huge chore. To remedy this I present Class Templates, put together by discord user @Jojiro#7209 and myself.

The Class Templates combine Proficiencies, Starting Equipment and Backgrounds for the player to roll or choose from on a 1d6 table. Currently Barbarian, Cleric, Fighter, Rogue, and Wizard are completed. The Barbarian Template was a test case but as written you could roll a classic D&D party and have your 1st level character halfway done within 5 minutes. Below is the Barbarian Template.

I decided on Athletics Proficiency as an auto-include due to all the benefits from Barbarian Rage. There is some overlap between the Barbarian and the Fighter, particularly with Sea Rover, Monster Tracker, and Steppe Nomad. I intend to update and specialize them in the future but for now, they serve as an interesting template for both.

I've also included some notes on filling in the Starting Equipment

Starting Equipment Includes
2 Melee Weapons
1 Ranged Weapon
Shield
Armor (Light/Medium)
A bag of some sort
A light source (6 torches or either kind of lantern with 2 flasks of oil)
Flavor/fluff item (no clear mechanical use)
Equipment (Clear mechanical use)
Wineskin and liquid
50ft of rope if the template is military or dungeoneer focused
Tinderbox, rations (7 days), 10 gp
Possible exceptions based on the template

The overall goal is to cut down on character creation time for new players or players in a high lethality 5e game. In my follow up post I'll include the 4 Classic Classes and their Equipment notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment